Pages

6.20.2011

Fausha

It's Father's Day today (obviously). I'm not going to lie, I forgot. Completely. You see my parents have decided this week to go on a... drumroll please... tour of diners from the show "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" and so we're driving our way down to hang out in Vegas for a week. Cute right? haha and embarrassing. I was dreading this trip, especially since my parents love to make up songs about everything they see while driving: the hills, the clouds, the family with bikes on their van, and me while I'm sleeping (at the top of their lungs). When we got in the car early this morning I went straight to sleep hoping I could miss most of the drive. I woke up 3 hours later and finally realized what day it was. I'm the worst daughter. I had complained all morning while getting ready, I didn't offer to drive, and I ate all of the peach penguins.  To make up for my poor choices I decided my parents were not only going to get to sing the whole way down, but I was going to join them. I wish you guys could know how big of a deal that is haha. Anyways, in the end I actually had so much fun with them and it's made me realize even more how much I love my parents and especially today, my dad. I wrote a talk about fathers two years ago and I found it today as I was cleaning out my computer. Here's a bit I really liked.



My Three Favorite Things About My Dad:
1.    My dad is ridiculously protective. He terrifies poor little boys and it used to drive me absolutely crazy! But this past year I think as I’ve grown up a bit I’ve realized it’s one of my favorite things, and it’s worn off on me. I would never bring someone home to hang out if they didn’t measure up to what I think my dad would appreciate. Because he’s set that standard I’ve set that standard.
2.    My dad makes this face when he gets really emotional and my family and I call it “the scrunchy face”. He makes it when he’s really proud and happy or something has touched his heart. I saw it the first time I said a talk as I fumbled through it, he made it as I walked up to him and my mother as a senior in basketball, and just recently he made it at my seminary grad as me and my friends stood and sang. I love that face, and I’m hoping I see it today but in the future wise when I’m kneeling across the altar I’ll look to my dad and I know he’ll be making that face.
3.    He is an amazing husband. He cooks, does laundry, and cleans all the time. I’ve talked to my sisters about this and we’ve never seen another husband who’s so devoted to his wife. My dad is constantly telling my mom she’s gorgeous or making up a song about it… very early in the morning while we’re trying to sleep I might add. And he just loves my mother like crazy. I don’t remember a morning where he didn’t kiss her goodbye. Frankly I want to marry someone like my dad. He has traits that I know I’ll look for in a companion.
As I’ve thought about my dad I’ve realized he’s set the bar high. I want to be better for him, I want a husband who loves me like he loves my mother, and I want him to be proud of me, because he’s important to me. Father’s are important.
A father will do anything for his child. I know my dad would. One story that really touches my heart concerns a man named Jairus.
(Hey, look here. I can't remember what talk this next part is from. Sorry!)
There was an incident in the life of the Savior that was mentioned by Matthew, Mark, and Luke. A significant part of the story is told by Mark in only two short verses and five words of the following verse.
“And, behold, there cometh one of the rulers of the synagogue, Jairus by name; and when he saw him [that is, when he saw Jesus], he fell at his feet,
“And besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at the point of death: I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live.
“And Jesus went with him” (Mark 5:22–24).
The reading time of that portion of the story is about thirty seconds. It is short and uncomplicated. The visual picture is clear and even a child could repeat it without difficulty. But as we spend time in thought and contemplation, a great depth of understanding and meaning comes to us. We conclude that this is more than a simple story about a little girl who was sick and Jesus went to lay his hands on her. Let me read these words to you again:
“And, behold.” The word behold is used frequently in scripture with a wide variety of meanings. Its use in this instance designates suddenness or unexpectedness. Jesus and those who were with him had just recrossed the Sea of Galilee, and a multitude of people who had been waiting met him on the shore near Capernaum. “And, behold [suddenly and unexpectedly], there cometh one of the rulers of the synagogue.” The larger synagogues of that day were presided over by a college of elders under the direction of a chief or a ruler. This was a man of rank and prestige whom the Jews looked upon with great respect.
Matthew doesn’t give the name of this chief elder, but Mark identifies him by adding to his title the words, “Jairus by name.” Nowhere else in the scriptures does this man or his name appear except on this occasion, yet his memory lives in history because of a brief contact with Jesus. Many, many lives have become memorable that otherwise would have been lost in obscurity had it not been for the touch of the Master’s hand that made a significant change of thought and action and a new and better life.
“And when he saw him [that is, when Jairus saw Jesus], he fell at his feet.”
This was an unusual circumstance for a man of rank and prestige, a ruler of the synagogue, to kneel at Jesus’ feet—at the feet of one considered to be an itinerant teacher with the gift of healing. Many others of learning and prestige saw Jesus also but ignored him. Their minds were closed. Today is no different; obstacles stand in the way of many to accept him.
“And [Jairus] besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at the point of death.” This is typical of what happens frequently when a man comes to Christ, not so much for his own need, but because of the desperate need of a loved one. The tremor we hear in Jairus’s voice as he speaks of “My little daughter” stirs our souls with sympathy as we think of this man of high position in the synagogue on his knees before the Savior.
Then comes a great acknowledgement of faith: “I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live.” These are not only the words of faith of a father torn with grief but are also a reminder to us that whatever Jesus lays his hands upon lives. If Jesus lays his hands upon a marriage, it lives. If he is allowed to lay his hands on the family, it lives.
The words, “and Jesus went with him” follow. We would not suppose that this event had been within the plans for the day. The Master had come back across the sea where the multitude was waiting on the shore for him to teach them. “And behold”—suddenly and unexpectedly—he was interrupted by the plea of a father.
I've seen my dad at moments like this, when he would give up everything for his children. He really does love his family, despite his hard exterior at times. Jairus was willing to throw away his reputation, relationships with other leaders, and his pride for his daughter. He knew what was important and I'm grateful everyday as I watch my parents that they know what's important. When I came home this summer and started getting into the rotation for family prayer for some reason it amazed me the other day that my parents, even when I'm not there, still have "family prayer". I remember saying to them, but you guys don't have a family it's just you two. I've come to realize it's because they would never miss a day having the opportunity to pray for their children together. As I listen to their pleas every night I feel the eternal love they have. I feel the love Heavenly Father has, and I can't help but be so grateful that I have a father here on earth and a Father in heaven. I really am blessed and grateful for their love, even though I'm super forgetful and really grumpy in cars.

1 comment:

  1. Kels this was awesome! Although now I really want to hug Dad and I am to far away to do it :( He is amazing and has blessed my life in many ways. I often find myself saying " But my Dad does that" to my hubby (and I think Drew's pretty great) but Dad has set the bar high and I am thankful that all the boys in my life have such an AMAZING example to follow. Tell Dad I LOVE him and miss him and Mom terribly and have fun on your eating adventure.

    Angie K

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...